Problem: The ribbon introduces several new types of controls that you've never used in Excel 2003.
In this figure, the Table and Picture icon will invoke a command. The Shapes and Screenshot icons are dropdowns that lead to a flyout menu.
- A mix of dropdowns, icons, and hybrids.
However, the PivotTable icon is actually two icons. The top half will start a pivot table. The bottom half leads to a flyout. You can't really tell which icons are a hybrid of icon and dropdown until you hover over the icon with your mouse.
- When you hover, a horizontal line divides the icon.
The other new type of control in the ribbon is a gallery with three arrows at the right side. The first and second arrows in the gallery will scroll through choices one row at a time.
If you click the bottom arrow, the gallery will fly open to reveal all of the choices.
- Galleries have three arrows on the right edge.
Additional Details: Several icons have an upper (icon) half and a lower (dropdown) half:
- The Paste icon on the Home tab
- The Insert icon on the Home tab
- The Delete icon on the Home tab
- The Pivot Table icon on the Insert tab
- The AutoSum icon on the Formulas tab
- The Macros icon on the View tab
- Use bottom arrow to open the gallery.