Problem: My Monopoly set is missing the dice. How can I create a spreadsheet that will simulate randomly rolling two dice?
Strategy: You can use the RANDBETWEEN function and clever spreadsheet formatting to simulate two or more dice. Follow these steps:
- Select cell B2. Select Home, Format, Row Height. Set the row height to 41.
- In cell B2, enter the formula =RANDBETWEEN(1,6).
- With cell B2 selected, click the Center and Middle Align buttons on the Home tab of the ribbon.
- In the Font group of the Home tab, choose the Bold icon. Select 24 point from the font size dropdown.
- Choose Thick Box Border from the Border dropdown.
- Copy cell B2 and paste it to cell D2. As shown below, you will have the two dice required for Monopoly.
- Copy B2 to make additional dice if necessary.
- Create dice with Excel.
Results: You will have one die in cell B2 and another in cell D2. Every time you press the F9 key, you will have a new roll of the dice.