Problem: I always use Excel to work on a particular workbook. Every time that I open Excel, I want this workbook to open automatically
Strategy: You can place the file you want to always open (or a shortcut to the file) in the XLStart folder, which is generally found in the %AppData%\Microsoft\Excel\ folder. Anything in this folder will automatically start when Excel starts.
Alternate Strategy: You can specify one folder to act as an additional XLStart folder. Follow these steps:
- Move the Excel workbook or workbooks to a new folder. Excel will try to open every file in this folder, so make sure you do not have other files in it.
- Open Excel. Select File, Options.
- Click Advanced in the left pane of the Excel Options dialog.
- Scroll down to the General section. Enter the path to the folder from step 1 in the At Startup, Open All Files In text box, as shown here.
- Any workbooks in this path open when you open Excel.
Alternate Strategy: Another strategy is to use a command-line switch, as discussed in "Set Up Excel Icons to Open a Specific File on Startup."