Problem: I have a question which is not answered in this book.
Strategy: A large community of Excel fans are available at the MrExcel.com message board. Collectively, they answer over 30,000 questions each year. Follow these steps:
- Browse to www.MrExcel.com
- In the left navigation bar, choose Message Board
- In the top right corner, click the link to Register. Registration is free. The site used to allow anonymous postings, but it became too confusing when two people named "anonymous" started participating in a conversation.
- As you register, a question asks you to confirm that you are 13 or older. Please choose this appropriately, or you will not be able to post.
- Click the appropriate forum. Most Excel questions, including macro programming questions, should go in the Excel Questions forum.
- Choose Excel Questions.
- Click the New Thread.
- Start a new question thread.
- Use a meaningful subject. "Pivot Table Calculated Fields" is a good subject. "Help" or "Please Help" is not a good subject.
- Type your question. Read over the question to make sure that someone who has not been dealing with your spreadsheet for the last hour can get a good sense of the meaning.
- Click the Submit button at the bottom of the form.
Within a minute, your question will appear in the forum. Other readers will check out the question. Usually within 15 minutes, someone will either post a clarifying question or a suggestion on how to proceed. If someone asks a question, provide the best answer that you can.
Usually, within a few iterations of questions, you will have your answer. Sometimes, if the question is particularly interesting, a discussion will break out over the best way to solve the problem.
Additional Details: Over 750,000 answers are archived and searchable. Before posting your question, spend a few minutes searching to see if the problem has already been solved.