Problem: Someone set up data in an outline view. I need to sort by columns A, B, and C, so I need all of the blanks filled in.
- Fill in the blanks.
Strategy: Use Go To Special to select the blank cells. Then, 3 simple keystrokes will fill in the blank cells with the value above. Follow these steps.
- Select from A3 down to the last blank in column C.
- Select Home, Find and Select, Go To Special.
- In the Go To Special dialog, choose Blanks and then click OK.
- Type and equals sign and press the up arrow. This will create a formula that points up one cell.
- Equals, Up Arrow.
- Press Ctrl+Enter to fill all of the selected cells with a similar formula.
- All of the blank cells are filled in.
- Before you can sort, you need to convert the formulas to values. Paste Values does not work on a non-contiguous selection, so you have to re-select columns A:C
- Ctrl+C to copy
- Home, Paste dropdown, Paste Values to convert the formulas to values.