Excel 2013 introduces a new feature where the chart labels can come from other cells on the worksheet. In the Figure below, formulas in column C build a label to identify the largest and second largest sales amount.
- As the results change, the labels will move.
Here are the steps to assign the labels from cells:
- Select the data and Insert, Recommended Chart, OK.
- Use the Plus icon to the right of the chart. Add a checkmark to Data Labels.
- Plus Icon, hover to right of Data Labels. Click Triangle, choose Data Callout.
- Plus, Data Labels, Triangle, More Options.
- Click the 3-Column chart icon in the Format Data Labels Task Pane.
- Click on Label Options.
- Checkmark Value From Cells.
- Excel will ask you to highlight the range. In this case, it is C2:C10.
- Uncheck Category Name and Value.