Problem: I have a workbook that takes 3 minutes to calculate. I changed to manual calculation mode so I can enter data without waiting for a recalculation after each data entry. I just changed 10 cells and I only want to recalculate the 10 rows that rely on those cells. I don't want to wait 3 minutes when there are only 10 cells that need recalculated.
Strategy: You can press F2 and Enter on each cell that has to be calculated. This will force a single cell to calculate. For 10 cells, try this trick:
- Select the cells that should be calculated. This must include more than one cell, or Excel will calculate the entire worksheet.
- Ctrl+H to display the Find and Replace dialog.
- Type an equals sign in the Find What box.
- Type an equals sign in the Replace With box.
- Click the Options >> button. Make sure that Look In is set to Formulas and that Match Entire Cell Contents is not checked.
- Click Replace All.
- Replace an equals with an equals.
Result: Only the selected range will be calculated.
Additional Details: After you have done the six steps above, you can quickly recalculate the selected range by using Ctrl+H, Alt+A. This will re-open the Find and Replace dialog, then do a Replace All with the previous settings.