- Excel Book Excerpt
Excel Seriously, I Really Can’t Find This
This page is an advertiser-supported excerpt of the book, Learn Excel 2007-2010 from MrExcel - 512 Excel Mysteries Solved. If you like this topic, please consider buying the entire e-book.
Seriously, I Really Can’t Find This
Problem: I’ve looked everywhere, and I can not find certain commands.
Strategy: I will show you some strategies for finding icons, but first, here are the ones that through me for a loop:
- ● Help is now the blue question mark at the top right of Excel.
- ● Save Workspace is now on the right side of the View tab.
- ● Protect Sheet is now on the Review tab.
- ● Move or Copy Sheet is in the Format dropdown on Home.
- ● Insert Rows, Insert Columns is in the Insert dropdown on Home.
- ● The “X” to close Excel is missing from Excel 2007. It is at the bottom of the Excel 2010 File tab. In either case, you should add the Exit to the Quick Access Toolbar.
Alternate Strategy: You can find any command in the Customize dialog box. Hover over the command to see a tooltip explaining where to find the command in Excel 2010. Follow these steps to locate a command.
1. The top-left corner of Excel contains a tiny strip with icons for Save, Undo, and Redo. Right-click that strip and choose Customize Quick Access Toolbar.
2. The top left dropdown starts with Popular Commands. Open that dropdown and choose All Commands. You now have an alphabetical list of 2000+ commands.
3. Scroll through the list. When you find your command, hover. A tooltip appears showing you the ribbon tab, the group, then the command.
Figure 4 Hover over a command to find the tab and group name.
Gotcha: Sometimes, the tooltip will indicates that your command is in the dreaded Commands Not In The Ribbon category. You will have to add these commands to the Quick Access Toolbar in 2007/2010 or to the Ribbon in 2010.
For more resources for Microsoft Excel: