- Excel Book Excerpt
Excel Quickly Rearrange Rows Or Columns
This page is an advertiser-supported excerpt of the book, Learn Excel 2007-2010 from MrExcel - 512 Excel Mysteries Solved. If you like this topic, please consider buying the entire e-book.
Quickly Rearrange Rows Or Columns
Problem: I want to move row 5 to appear after row 7. I don’t want to sort. I don’t want to insert a new row, copy, paste, delete the old row. What is the fastest way?
Strategy: This topic will cover some little-known shortcut keys.
- ● Shift+Spacebar selects the entire row.
- ● Ctrl+Spacebar selects the entire column.
- ● Shift+Drag Border will insert the selected range in a new spot.
- ● Ctrl+Plus Sign will insert cells above or to the left
- ● Ctrl+Minus sign will delete the selection.
Here is an example. Say that you want to move row 4 after row 7 and that you want to move Bobby after Peter.
Figure 88 You want to rearrange this data.
1. Select the whole row using Shift+Spacebar.
2. Hold down the shift key. Drag the lower border of the selection and drop it below row 7.
3. Select a cell in D. Select the whole column using Ctrl+Spacebar.
4. Shift+Drag the right border of the selection after column F.
Figure 89 Shift-drag the selection to move it.
If you wanted to delete column B, select one cell in B, Ctrl+Spacebar to select the whole column, then Ctrl+Minus to delete.
For more resources for Microsoft Excel: